Over the last two decades, K&L Gates has established itself as one of the premier national firms in mass and complex tort litigation. Because of our firm’s diverse client base, we understand that every client has different litigation goals and we work with each one to develop a customized strategy to achieve those goals.
While each individual may have a different philosophy regarding discovery, trial, and settlement, every client wants to minimize the risk of a trial, control defense costs, and eliminate surprises. Whether a client has the occasional claim or thousands pending throughout the country, K&L Gates can provide the appropriate counsel. With the client’s needs in mind, our lawyers coordinate the defense to ensure the client’s preferred strategy is followed at every level.
K&L Gates has re-shaped the law by advancing novel legal theories that were the result of coordinated strategies put into place from the filing of the initial pleading to trial. After years of representing multiple clients in nearly every state, we have developed one of the most highly experienced, and successful, national teams in mass and complex tort litigation. Our lawyers are not only in the courthouses every day, but also working with clients to develop legal strategies that can minimize the risk of trial while creating opportunities to resolve claims reasonably and expeditiously. Put simply, there is no other law firm that has the same experience or level of success across the country. K&L Gates’ Mass and Complex Tort team can help you identify problem cases early, manage costs, and allocate the appropriate resources to each case.
Our team has represented multiple clients in thousands of cases over the last several years. In the context of that representation, we have:
- Tried cases to verdict in 15 separate asbestos cases in jurisdictions such as California, New York, Illinois, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Arizona, Florida, Texas, and South Carolina.
- Started trial in numerous other claims in the same jurisdictions as well as others including: Connecticut, Alabama, West Virginia, Ohio, and Louisiana.
- Argued appeals before the 2nd Circuit, 3rd Circuit, 4th Circuit, 5th Circuit, , 8th Circuit, 9th Circuit, and 11th Circuit Courts.
- Argued appeals before the highest courts of California and Pennsylvania.
- Argued appeals before the intermediate level appellate courts of California, New York, Pennsylvania, and Florida.
- Testified in Congress in connection with federal asbestos litigation reform legislation matters.
Over the years, we have assisted many clients in connection with mass and complex tort claims. Whether those clients have ten claims or tens of thousands of claims, K&L Gates has provided sound legal advice to help those clients achieve their goals. Those clients include:
- A manufacturer and distributor of industrial and residential equipment, particularly valves, pumps and boilers
- A manufacturer of electrical distribution and control equipment
- A manufacturer of glass, coatings, chemicals and fiberglass products
- A manufacturer of friction material products (Trial Counsel)
- A manufacturer of aluminum products
- A manufacturer and distributor of cast, extruded, and seamless industrial piping, fittings and valves in many alloys
- A manufacturer of stainless and specialty steel
- A producer of nuclear fuel products