Mr. Birsic maintains an active trial, arbitration and counseling practice focused on a wide range of complex commercial and insurance coverage litigation. Mr. Birsic has extensive jury and bench trial experience involving complex commercial cases, including class actions, business disputes, environmental and toxic torts, and shareholder disputes. In addition, he has tried numerous international and U.S. based commercial and coverage arbitrations to conclusion. Since 2008 alone, Mr. Birsic has tried more than 13 significant complex cases to conclusion. In recognition of his extensive trial work, Mr. Birsic has been inducted as a Fellow of both the American College of Trial Lawyers and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. For 2018, the United States Lawyer Rankings again selected Mr. Birsic as one of the Nation’s Top 5 Commercial Litigation Lawyers. Mr. Birsic is also regularly (past 10 years) featured in both The Best Lawyers in America and Chambers, USA for bet-the-company, commercial and business litigation. He is also regularly featured in The International Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration.
Professional BackgroundProfessional/Civic Activities
Mr. Birsic has been a lawyer with K&L Gates since 1979 and recently completed a term as one of the practice area leaders of the firm’s litigation and dispute resolution practice area. He is a frequent lecturer to professional groups on trial and arbitration related issues involving complex commercial litigation, insurance coverage and international arbitration issues.
- In 2018, selected again by United States Lawyer Rankings as one of the Nation’s Top 5 Commercial Litigation Lawyers
- American College of Trial Lawyers (Fellow)
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers (Fellow)
- Regularly featured in The Best Lawyers in America for Business and Commercial Litigation
- Regularly featured in Chambers, USA for Bet-the-Company and Commercial Litigation
- Litigation Counsel of America - Trial Lawyer Honorary Society (Fellow)
- Designated as Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law by American Lawyer
- Regularly featured in The International Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration
- Regularly selected as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in Business Litigation and as one of the top 50 lawyers in Pittsburgh by Philadelphia Magazine
- Atlantic Legal Foundation (Board of Directors)
- 2017 ADR Champion Award by National Law Journal
- 2014 Recipient of Distinguished Alumni Award from University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County (Past Fellow and Member of Board of Directors)
- Judiciary Committee of the Allegheny County Bar Association (Former Chairman – 2002-2003; current member)
- Judicial Merit Selection Committee (Officer)
- Board of Directors of the United Way of Allegheny County (Member: 1999-2011 and Member of its Governance Committee)
- National Pancreas Foundation (Board of Directors and Executive Committee)
- American Heart Association – Executive Committee for Heart Walk Campaign
- Collaborative Alliance for Pancreatic Education and Research (Board of Directors and Chair of Executive Committee)
- In 2003, Catholic Charities presented Mr. Birsic with its Caritas Award for Service in recognition of his public service in the area of law.