Ms. Lambrakopoulos concentrates her practice in securities enforcement matters, securities and financial services litigation, internal investigations and broker-dealer regulation. As a partner in K&L Gates’ Investigations, Enforcement and White Collar practice group, she represents corporate and individual clients in enforcement proceedings before the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Justice, FINRA, and state securities regulators. She also represents financial institutions, corporations, and their officers in complex financial services and securities class actions and individual litigation before federal and state courts at the trial and appellate level. She has first-chaired jury and bench trials in federal and state courts, and defends FINRA securities arbitrations. Her clients include banks and other financial institutions, broker-dealers, investment advisers, hedge funds, trust companies, colleges and universities, and their directors, officers and employees. Government Enforcement Investigations and Litigation
Ms. Lambrakopoulos served for ten years in various senior-level positions on Capitol Hill and in state government, concentrating on federal and state legislative initiatives in the areas of energy, environment, health care and appropriations. As Legislative Director and staff to the Chair of the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Commerce, Consumer Protection and Competitiveness, she focused her efforts on energy, consumer protection, and environmental legislation including reauthorizations of Superfund, the Clean Air Act, and RCRA. She also served as the chief lobbyist for the Governor and state of New Jersey.
Financial Services and Securities Litigation
- Won summary judgment in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia on behalf of hedge fund investment adviser and managers on claims brought by the SEC under the anti-fraud provisions of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 relating to valuation of the fund’s portfolio and alleged misrepresentations in stock purchase agreement.
- Represent hedge funds and their investment advisers in investigations by SEC Asset Management Unit on a variety of issues including allegations of insider trading, improper valuation of portfolios, cherry-picking of trade allocations, breaches of fiduciary duties, conflicts of interest, and in issues arising out of participation in PIPEs investments.
- Defend public companies, officers, broker-dealers, investment advisers, and investment companies in SEC enforcement investigations relating to: allegations of securities fraud; market manipulation; revenue recognition and accounting practices; failure to supervise issues; BSA/AML compliance; and insider trading. A number of these investigations resolved with no enforcement action by the SEC.
- Represented a multinational energy company in SEC investigation focused on potential securities fraud violations by a related entity and obtained declination.
- Part of defense team representing former officers of U.S. defense contractor in ongoing anti-corruption prosecution by foreign government arising from global corruption scandal.
- Defended large financial institution in SEC high-yield bond investigation of its investment banking and retail divisions and obtained declination.
- Defended global financial institution in investigations by the SEC and DOJ arising from market timing and late trading and obtained declinations.
- Defended trial of administrative proceeding before SEC Administrative Law Judge relating to market manipulation and supervision matters.
- Counsel to court-appointed Examiner in the bankruptcy proceeding of New Century Financial Corporation, concentrating on financial and accounting matters.
- Counsel to the court-appointed Bankruptcy Examiner in his investigation of WorldCom, with lead responsibility for the investigation of WorldCom’s accounting practices and the performance of the company’s Audit Committee, internal and external auditors.
- Counsel to court-appointed Receivers in federal securities enforcement cases with responsibility for locating and distributing investor assets and successfully litigating claw-back claims on behalf of Receivers before U.S. District Court for District of Columbia and U.S. Court of Appeals for D.C. Circuit.
- Represent broker-dealers and employees before FINRA in enforcement investigations including on fraud, suitability and BSA/AML matters and defend customer arbitrations.
- Trained securities and capital markets regulators from emerging market countries through the Financial Services Volunteer Corps, in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Won summary judgment in U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland in favor of bank trust company, affiliated broker-dealer, and former officer obtaining complete dismissal of claims of fraud, negligence, breach of fiduciary duty and statutory consumer fraud.
- Defended large financial institution in mortgage-related litigation before the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, prevailing in dismissing majority of claims.
- Defended corporation and directors in putative shareholder class action before the Baltimore City Circuit Court of Maryland in connection with litigation and settlement issues.
- Won dismissal of putative securities class action in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act (“PSLRA”) against public auditor arising from issuer’s alleged FCPA violations.
- Represented financial institution in investor class action before Delaware Chancery and Supreme Courts. Worked to structure and oversaw implementation of class settlement involving distribution of no-load mutual fund shares and commission discounts.
- Won affirmance by Maryland Court of Special Appeals of judgment in favor of company servicing student loans in litigation alleging breach of contract, fraud and other torts.
- Regularly lead domestic and cross-border internal investigations on behalf of public and private companies, their Boards of Directors and Audit Committees relating to accounting, employment and corporate governance matters, often sparked by whistleblower complaints under Dodd-Frank and Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Led a global internal investigation on behalf of Board of Directors of affiliate of Japanese public company involving accounting and revenue reporting, internal controls and compliance with FCPA and anti-corruption policies.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of Audit Committee of corporation in connection with 2004 Athens Olympics.
- Led internal investigation on corporate governance and employment matters on behalf of Board of Trustees of university with international operations.
- Led cross-border internal review of whistleblower complaints on behalf of global company conducting pharmaceutical trials in EU and Turkey.