The K&L Gates Senior Housing and Care team has been working in the senior housing and care industry for over 15 years, having cultivated a deep understanding of the industry and actively participating in this rapidly growing market.
We offer counsel to developers, operators, lenders, investors, and for-profit and nonprofit providers of senior residential communities. Our clients invest in and/or operate independent living properties, assisted living properties, memory care facilities, nursing facilities, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies, adult care programs, and hospice agencies. We provide comprehensive counsel for all legal needs to our senior housing and care clients across the United States and around the world.
We offer a full-service team that is able to support senior housing and care industry participants in many areas, including:
- Fund formation, portfolio structuring, and fundraising
- Real estate based asset development, acquisition, and disposition
- Construction and development agreements
- Land use and environmental
- Equity, mezzanine, and debt financing
- Joint ventures
- Certificate of need, state licensing, provider enrollment, and
health care regulatory matters
- Tax matters and structuring (local, state, federal, and international)
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Management and development agreements
- Operating company and property company leasing
- Labor relations and employment matters
- HIPAA, data privacy, and security
- Health information technology
- Litigation and dispute resolution
Our Global Senior Housing and Care Approach
K&L Gates has a team of lawyers integrated across five continents with significant experience assisting clients in navigating the regulatory, policy, transactional, and business issues surrounding the senior housing and care industry. We pride ourselves on being globally connected, providing strategic and effective legal solutions to our clients in Asia, Australia, Europe, and the United States. In Asia we are assisting clients with their expansion into China, a country that is welcoming foreign capital into senior living facilities. Our team in Australia has substantial experience working with clients across the retirement living, aged care, and health and ageing industry sectors and is advising clients on policy impacts related to the recently established Royal Commission for Aged Care Quality and Safety. Across the European markets our lawyers are connected with the ongoing issues concerning growing disputes related to Exit Fees in the United Kingdom as well as navigating the complex regulatory issues and challenges with investment costs related to senior housing and care projects across the continent. As the demand for senior housing and care rapidly grows around the world, our legal solutions continue to evolve to meet the dynamic needs of our clients who are operating domestically and internationally across the senior housing and care industry.