The implementation of environmentally sustainable “green” practices has become a priority for many of our clients, and organizations are keen to develop sustainable business models to bolster their green credentials. K&L Gates advises on how to integrate environmentally responsible principles into real estate initiatives and provides up to date and practical advice on incoming legislation and new policy initiatives.
Our sustainable development group includes lawyers from diverse practice areas and markets who focus on sustainable development issues that arise for our clients in both the real estate and business areas. K&L Gates offers one of the largest groups of Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)-accredited lawyers in the industry with 30 lawyers across our global platform having earned LEED accreditation from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). We are able to advise and respond to "green" building and LEED issues, as well as advise clients on incorporating sustainability concepts into their business plans and daily practices. The issues we address are in the areas of environmental, land use, real estate development, leasing, construction, energy, emerging business, and corporate law.
The scope of our services includes:
- Advising clients regarding green buildings, including the financing, development, construction, retrofitting, and third-party certification (including LEED certification) of commercial, retail, industrial, and residential projects.
- Advising clients regarding emerging contractual and litigation issues in the design and construction of green buildings, including LEED-certified buildings.
- Assisting developers through the entitlement process as local governments heighten focus on sustainable development issues.
- Representing clients with regard to green leasing, including drafting and negotiating RFPs, letters of intent, lease agreements, and related legal documents.
- Monitoring and advocating regarding legislation and regulatory developments at the local and state levels.
- Advising clients on local, state, and federal incentives for sustainable development and business practices.
- Representing clients before state and local agencies, boards, councils, and commissions
- Organizing interest group coalitions and grassroots efforts.