K&L Gates has extensive experience in all areas of real estate law and transactions and handles matters related to all phases of real estate development. We represent developers, landowners, equity investors, and institutions in all types of matters involving real estate assets.
Our lawyers have extensive experience in property acquisitions and dispositions, real estate financing, securities and tax implications relating to the ownership and operation of real estate, entity selection, environmental compliance, and land use and zoning regulations.
The scope of our services includes:
- Assemblage of multiple parcels and acquisition of both improved and unimproved properties.
- Acquisitions, sales, exchanges (including Section 1031 exchanges), and other dispositions of income-producing properties, undeveloped land, and other interests in real property.
- Real estate development, beginning with contracting for or optioning of raw land; tax analysis; and assistance with all other aspects of development, including governmental permits and approvals, subdivision, land use and zoning matters, environmental compliance, complicated titling (including strata) arrangements, construction contracts, and leasing and management agreements.
- Entity selection, including development partnerships, joint ventures, limited liability companies, grantor trusts, and other types of holding and operational entities.
- Private and public syndications involving real estate assets, including REITs and other types of securities offerings.
- Sale-leaseback transactions, master leases, synthetic leases, long-term ground leases, and other lease transactions from both the landlord and tenant perspectives.
- Representation of owners, developers, and municipalities in public/private real estate projects.
- Mixed-use developments incorporating retail, residential, and commercial components in inner-city and suburban locations.
- Lot development, federal and state interstate land sales, and other regulation relating to land sales.
- Zoning, subdivision, adequate facilities, and other land use matters, including assistance in seeking rezoning, variances, special use permits, and changes in zoning ordinance interpretations from governmental authorities.
- Assistance in a variety of matters involving state and local transportation departments, including condemnation actions and requests for roadway improvements and environmental and contamination issues.