Virtually every sector of the economy is affected by the government. Fates, futures, and bottom lines often shift substantially as a result of governmental decisions. Those who can shape decisions have a competitive edge. To achieve their goals, companies and other organizations need timely and relevant information and the ability to identify and access the right government officials about issues and proposed legislation or regulations that affect them.
The K&L Gates public policy and law group (policy group) operates at the intersection of public policy, law, and business. Founded over four decades ago, at a time when few law firms had lobbying practices, the policy group has grown from a single lobbyist to become the largest of any fully integrated global law firm.
The group is consistently recognized by Chambers USA, Legal 500, and other publications for deep substantive knowledge and bipartisanship.
- The group has been ranked by Chambers USA since 2011 with the 2018 guide stating:
- “They are very knowledgeable in terms of the substance of laws and regulations, and are also very good at helping to develop strategies on complex issues.”
- “The team works well together. They are very knowledgeable in their respective areas of expertise, they are great at communicating progress, are knowledgeable about our business, and are responsive and timely with their work.”
- Since 2010, the U.S. News-Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” survey has acknowledged the team as a top-ranked firm for government relations.
- The Legal 500 has ranked the group since 2015 stating: “clients can rely on a rapid, professional response across the public policy spectrum.”
- The group is also consistently ranked among the top law firms in the National Law Journal's Influence 50 survey, most recently in its October 2015 publication.
- Members of the team have also been individually acknowledged as “Top Lobbyists” by The Hill newspaper.
The group has nearly 60 bipartisan lawyers and policy professionals with 500 years of combined government experience. The team’s successes are built on a philosophy that emphasizes a deeply substantive and teamwork-based approach to public policy. The goal is to understand a policy issue from every direction—substantively and politically—and to use the collective knowledge and experience of our team to help our clients achieve their objectives. The team helps clients meet their needs through the entire policy lifecycle—legislation to regulation and dispute resolution. This approach has worked for four decades, which is why the federal policy group has thrived through nine administrations and 24 Congresses. The state policy practice has a strategic geographic footprint, with regional headquarters in Pennsylvania, Texas, and North Carolina. Members of our international policy practice, based in Brussels, assist clients within capitals in Europe, the Asia-Pacific region, and the Middle East.
- James Walsh, former Republican U.S. representative from New York;
- John McHugh, former secretary of the U.S. Army under President Obama and former Republican U.S. representative from New York;
- Bart Gordon, former Democratic U.S. representative from Tennessee;
- Slade Gorton, former Republican U.S. senator from Washington;
- Emanuel Rouvelas, former U.S. Senate Commerce Committee counsel, top Democratic lobbyist, and founder of the policy group;
- Dick Thornburgh, former attorney general of the United States and the former governor of Pennsylvania.
The team also includes numerous others, including the former general counsel of the Central Intelligence Agency, White House officials, counsels to two Speakers of the House, congressional committee counsels, senior executive branch officials, congressional chiefs of staff, leadership staff, senior counsel at various government agencies, senior gubernatorial aides, military officials, and others. Several team members were involved in the Trump campaign and the presidential transition.
A Policy Team with a Global Reach
Members of the policy group join forces with the firm’s Global Government Solutions® (GGS) practice and together, provide a uniquely effective set of capabilities to help clients deal with governments around the world. The GGS initiative brings together lawyers from various practice disciplines located in fully integrated offices in the primary political, commercial, and financial centers of North America, Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Australia, and South America, including 12 world capitals.
This geographic reach, coupled with the depth and breadth of our practice, positions the firm to advance client interests efficiently and effectively and to develop and execute coordinated strategies in multiple locations. The widespread global network allows us the opportunity to respond to clients’ needs in a timely manner, delivering exceptional service by an experienced team not affected by cross-border limitations.
In their 2013 guide, Chambers said, “The firm's global government solutions initiative relies on smart interaction between offices worldwide. This service is ideally suited to support clients whose policy objectives extend beyond the USA.”