K&L Gates’ Intellectual Property Litigation practice is a sophisticated, worldwide enterprise with experience in all aspects of IP litigation. Our clients include those protecting emerging communications technologies, novel drug therapies, iconic brands, trade secrets, copyrights, and other proprietary information. Our practice has been ranked in Managing IP and U.S. News-Best Lawyers. Law360 has previously named us a “Practice Group of the Year” for IP Law, and the National Law Journal has named our practice to its “IP Hot List” of the top practices in the U.S. The NLJ said of K&L Gates, “Big firm. Big wins.”
Our practice is distinguished by:
- Strong technology depth with over 100 U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO)-registered professionals with backgrounds in electrical, mechanical, chemical, biological, software, physics, and material sciences, including approximately 20 with Ph.D.s.
- Extensive experience in virtually every venue in the United States, including IP litigation hot spots such as the Eastern District of Texas, District of Delaware, Eastern District of Virginia, Central and Northern Districts of California, Northern District of Illinois, Western District of Wisconsin, and the Federal Circuit.
- Top-ranked trial lawyers with extensive jury and bench experience, and a record of successful outcomes.
- Depth and scope in Asia Pacific with 11 regional offices, including four in Australia, to meet the growing intellectual property needs presented by the region’s extraordinary economic growth and increasing influence in the global economy.
- Extensive experience before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) with over 20 Section 337 Investigations ongoing or recently concluded, including ten trials.
Our practice incorporates a robust Patent Office Litigation practice, combining our knowledge of patent litigation, patent office adversarial proceedings, and patent procurement.
Our 100 IP litigators devote their practices to IP litigation, and combine the many complex facets of IP to marshal every resource necessary on behalf of clients. We are steeped in the practice of intellectual property law, including the Federal Circuit’s constantly changing jurisprudence, International Trade Commission procedures, preliminary and permanent injunction practice, and bench and jury trials. We handle every scale of litigation, from large, complex multi-jurisdiction matters and bet-your-company confrontations between industry leaders, to litigation involving non-practicing entities, to modest license dispute and piracy matters.
Above all else, we view the world through our clients’ eyes. Our litigation strategies and tactics advance our clients’ business goals, not our own.
Please visit our blog, IP Law Watch, for analysis and developments in all areas of IP.