Our Charleston office opened with seven lawyers in December of 2011. The office has since grown to more than 35 lawyers to accommodate the increasing demands of the business community and firm clients throughout South Carolina, the United States, and the world.
Our Charleston lawyers provide legal services in nearly every area of law, possess local knowledge of business, and have strong, established connections in the local and statewide business and legal communities. Our lawyers represent local, regional, national, and global clients of all sizes in a diverse array of industries.
In 2017, fDi Magazine ranked South Carolina number one in the country for foreign direct investment, based on the number of projects on a per capita basis. South Carolina’s central location between New York and Miami, its deep water port and two major container shipping terminals, and Charleston’s international airport position the state well for global business. Many companies have chosen South Carolina to open or expand operations, specifically in the automotive, aerospace, technology, and life sciences industries.
The lawyers in the Charleston office provide legal counsel in the following legal areas and industries:
Experience by Practice
- Aviation Finance
- Banking and Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Economic Development
- Environment, Land and Natural Resources
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- International Arbitration
- International Trade/Customs
- Investigations, Enforcement and White Collar
- Labor and Employment
- Public Policy
- Real Estate
- Telecom, Media and Technology
- Toxic Tort
Experience by Industry
- Broadcast Media
- Financial Institutions
- Food and Beverage
- Foreign Investment
- Health Care
- Life Sciences
- Paper and Packaging
- Resort, Hospitality and Leisure
Rankings and Awards
Our Charleston lawyers have been consistently recognized for providing their clients with the most sophisticated solutions to their legal challenges. Our lawyers and the Charleston office are consistently recognized by the following publications:
- AirFinance Journal
- Best Lawyers in America
- Chambers USA
- Lawyer Monthly magazine
- South Carolina Super Lawyers
- U.S. News-Best Lawyers
Below is a selection of specific awards and recognition in the Charleston office of K&L Gates:
- Five Tier 1 practice ranking by the 2018 U.S. News-Best Lawyers in the areas of Admiralty & Maritime Law, Banking and Finance Law, Corporate Law, Litigation - Banking & Finance and Real Estate Law.
- Nine lawyers named as Best Lawyers in America.
- Six lawyers are identified with AV Preeminent Peer Review Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Five lawyers recognized by Chambers USA.
- Four lawyers named as South Carolina Super Lawyers.