Ms. Meer is a partner in K&L Gates’ New York City and Washington, D.C. offices and a member of the Investment Management and Hedge Fund practice groups.
Ms. Meer has been structuring private funds as limited liability companies, limited partnerships, offshore corporations, common trust funds and business trusts, and preparing disclosure documents and organizational documents for such entities for more than 20 years. She also advises investment advisers, private fund managers and investment companies on compliance issues, including under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and whether their commodity interest-related trading or advice would require them to register as commodity pool operators or commodity trading advisors. Ms. Meer is also active in investments related to the newly established Opportunity Zones following the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 for long-term investments and development in low-income urban and rural neighborhoods.
Sample engagements include:
- Structuring and organization of hedge funds, private equity funds, credit funds, commodity pools, opportunity zone funds and funds-of-funds for U.S. and non-U.S. investment managers, including funds that are intentionally “plan assets”;
- Registration of U.S. and non-U.S. managers as investment advisers, commodity pool operators and commodity trading advisors, and ongoing regulatory advice regarding ongoing compliance obligations;
- Assisting managers in the reorganization of their business and representing buyers and sellers of investment management firms;
- Representing institutional investors when they invest in third-party managed private funds and hire asset managers;
- Representing buyers and sellers of interests in private funds in secondary market transactions;
- Helping managers set up out-sourced CIO businesses; and
- Writing comment letters and otherwise assisting trade associations in connection with proposed rule changes and other matters.