K&L Gates Washington, D.C. Office
1601 K Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20006
K&L Gates, The Fletcher School, and The Responsible Asset Allocator Initiative at New America are hosting the joint meeting of Building Bridges VII and the RAAI Summit.
When it comes to ESG considerations, environmental factors (the “E”) get great attention, but interest among institutions in social and governance impacts (the “S” and “G”) is surging. From infrastructure to the total institutional portfolio, the Summit will gather investors, practitioners, policymakers, teachers, and students to examine, discuss, and debate “S” and “G” as they inform institutional investment strategies and drive social and governance impacts.
The rising interest in “S” and “G” considerations was brought into focus in April of this year, when the Business Roundtable, an association of CEOs of the country’s 200 largest businesses, issued a new mission statement for corporations emphasizing diversity, inclusion, sustainable business practices, ethical supply chains, support for local communities, transparency and engagement, all while creating long-term value for shareholders.
This call to action informs our mission: To create a dynamic, collegial forum to advance the global dialog on the key issues that drive social and governance impacts and their influence on institutional investment strategies. Topics will include understanding S and G factors in infrastructure investing, managing social and governance impacts in Emerging Market and North American infrastructure projects, cataloging standards for measuring and reporting social and governance impacts against portfolio objectives, and spotlighting effective S and G strategies implemented today by the world’s largest public funds.
- Afsaneh Beschloss, CEO Rock Creek, former Treasurer and CIO of the World Bank
- Hiromichi Mizuno, Executive Director and CIO, Government Pension Investment Fund of Japan
- Erik Bethel, appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate as US Representative to the Board of Directors of the World Bank
- Marc-André Blanchard, Canada’s Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Member of Canada’s North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Council, involved in advancing the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Anne- Marie Slaughter, CEO, New America, former Director of Policy Planning for the United States Department of State, the first woman to hold that position, former Dean of Princeton’s Woodrow Wilson School of International and Public Affairs, author of eight books.
Panelists and discussion leaders include senior representatives from AIMCo, BCG, BCI, CalPERS, Church Pension Fund, GPIFJ, Guggenheim, Ithmar, IFC, Landesa, Nuveen, NZSF, Omidyar, USAID and more.