With the launch of our Berlin office in 2007, the firm expanded its operations both in Europe’s largest economy and in one of the largest bilateral economic partners of the United States.
Our Berlin office is located in the heart of the political and business district. Since the Berlin Wall came down, Berlin has not only regained its position as the political center of Germany but has also become one of the principal and fastest growing markets for media and entertainment, biotech, life sciences, information technology (IT), and advertising industries.
Our Berlin lawyers focus on corporate/M&A, emerging growth and venture capital, and real estate. The team is also active in the fields of investment management; intellectual property/IT and media; litigation and dispute resolution; and labor, employment, and workplace safety, as well as in advising on regulatory matters related to public procurement and antitrust law.
Rankings and Awards
Our practice groups and partners are frequently recognized by leading legal publications, such as JUVE German Commercial Law Firms, Legal 500, Chambers Europe, and Best Lawyers/Handelsblatt, as leading practitioners in their fields.
- We are ranked as a first-tier firm for international mid-sized deals (Legal 500 Deutschland—“Legal 500”—2014 and 2015) and are recommended for M&A (JUVE Handbuch—“JUVE”—2007/08-2017/18, a leading German legal publication; Legal 500, 2009–2018 ), for Corporate (JUVE 2007/08–2017/18; Legal 500, 2016 and 2017), Private Equity (Transactions) (JUVE 2012/13–2016/17; Legal 500, 2014-2018), and Compliance Investigations (JUVE 2013/14–2014/16); “Other Noted Firm” for Corporate M&A: Mid-Market (Chambers Europe 2016 and 2017).
- The team is recognized for Private Equity (Transactions) (JUVE 2012/13–2017/18; Legal 500, 2014 and 2015).
- Legal 500, 2016-2018 ranks us for Banking and Finance: Investment Funds.
- We have been cited for Real Estate (JUVE 2013/14–2017/18) and recommended for Real Estate (Legal 500, 2009–2018; Chambers Europe 2015-2017).
- The practice is recommended for Media (JUVE 2007/08–2017/18; Legal 500, 2010–2018; Chambers Europe 2014–2017). In 2009, the practice was named “Law Firm of the Year for Media,” “Law Firm of the Year for Telecommunications,” and “Law Firm of the Year for TV, Film and Entertainment” by JUVE.
- The German practice was named “Law Firm of the Year for Public Procurement 2010” by JUVE and acknowledged as a first-tier firm for Public Law (PPP) by Legal 500, 2014. It is also recommended for Public Procurement (JUVE 2011/12–2017/18; Legal 500, 2012–2017; Chambers Europe 2014–2016), PPP (Legal 500, 2015-2018) and Project Finance (JUVE 2011/12–2013/14).
- For the sixth consecutive year, our German practice was ranked among Germany’s top firms in JUVE 2016/17 and is also listed among the top 100 employers in Germany by Azur 2017, an affiliated magazine of JUVE. LTO Young Professionals Survey 2017 has honored K&L Gates with the “Young Professionals’ Choice 2017” award, with our firm counting among the ten favorite employers according to various groups of applicants.