Mr. Hartman represents companies and individuals in criminal and civil investigations, trials, and appeals primarily involving complex federal regulatory programs, with an emphasis on environmental matters, and advises clients on compliance with those programs. He also conducts internal investigations, counsels clients regarding corporate compliance programs, and represents clients in Congressional investigations regarding lobbying, ethics, and related issues. He has represented clients in industries including maritime, energy, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, recycling, chemicals, manufacturing, and real estate. Some of his more significant matters include:
- In re Aiken County, Ferguson, et al., 645 F.3d 428 (D.C. Cir. 2013). Lead counsel for individual petitioners in successfully obtaining Writ of Mandamus to compel the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to resume licensing process for Yucca Mountain as a permanent repository for high-level nuclear waste, finding that the NRC decision to halt the proceeding violated specific requirements of the Nuclear Waste Policy Act. Click here to access the brief.
- United States v. Mark David Radley, 632 F.3d 177 (5th Cir. 2011). Successfully represented individual in obtaining full dismissal of indictment in multi-defendant matter alleging conspiracy, wire fraud, manipulation, and attempted manipulation of the propane market under the Commodity Futures Trading Act and Title 18. Click here to read the decision.
- American Vanguard Corporation v. Jackson, 803 F. Supp. 2d 8 (D.D.C. 2011). Represented pesticide manufacturer in first successful judicial challenge to unprecedented EPA action attempting to use a unilateral “stop sale” order as a means of effectively suspending an approved registration to sell a pesticide. Click here to access the brief.
- Lake Carriers Association et al. v. EPA, 652 F.3d 1 (D.C. Cir. 2011). Represented domestic maritime industry in challenge to Clean Water Act Vessel General Permit program. Click here to access the brief.
- United States v. John Cota (No. CR-08-0160) (N.D. Cal.). Represented pilot of Cosco Busan in criminal proceeding arising from Cosco Busan spill in San Francisco Bay.
- Bates Drug Stores, Inc. v. Holder et al., No. CV 11-167 (E.D. Wash.). Represented pharmacy in successfully obtaining injunctive relief against enforcement of Drug Enforcement Administration Immediate Suspension Order under the Controlled Substances Act, 21 U.S.C. 834(d). Click here to access the order.